Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sausages & Frites

Today my grandparents visited me and my daughter. They dropped off some fresh sausages that my grandfather made this past weekend.  I knew right away what I was going to make: salsiccia con peperoni e cippole (sausages with pepper and onions). I had these nice Panini that would go great with the sausages. As my side I was going to use my T-Fal Actifry to make some potatoes - my husband loves them!

So I peeled one large sweet potato and 3 small-medium russet potatoes and chopped them into wedges. I tossed them with some vegetable oil, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and threw them in the Actifry. I drizzled some more oil over top, set it to 40 minutes and turned it on.


Next I chopped up one onion and 1.5 red peppers. I always prefer red peppers because they have this nice sweetness to them. I also chopped up my grandfather's sausages. They were very fresh, so I could have (maybe even should have) left them whole, but that's alright.


I heated up my pan with some oil and tossed everything in.  Because the sausages were very fresh, I added a little bit of water since they'd need to fry a little longer than usual. A sprinkle of salt and pepper and I let them cook, stirring frequently. Covering the pan will keep the heat and moisture in. At this point you could add a variety of seasonings if you wanted.


The bottom of the pan got a lot of nice brown bits so near the end I added just a splash more of water to loosen it all up. I cooked it all over medium-low heat for the most part. The onions got all yummy and carmelized, the peppers got nice and soft and the sausages were cooked through and brown.

The potatoes and sausages were done at about the exact same time. At this point you plate it and enjoy your dinner. You can put the sausages in a sandwich (especially if you kept the sausages whole or halved them lengthwise) or just eat them with the bread.
Dinner was so yummy - there wasn't enough leftovers for the both of us for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment