Thursday, April 25, 2013

Rice Cooker Mac n Cheese

We use our rice cooker quite a bit - so much so that my husband went out and bought a super-duper fancy one. We use it to make rice (obviously!) and quinoa mostly. When I heard that you could mac n cheese in a rice cooker, I had to try it! And I have to say it turned out quite nice. The cheese didn't melt as well as it should have, but I think that's because I only had fettuccine in my cupboard and it didn't allow enough room for the cheese to blend and melt.

Ingredients:

2 cups pasta
1.5 cups chicken stock
Salt
1 cup milk
1.5 cups grated cheese (I used cheddar, mozzarella and Swiss)

Directions:

1. Put the pasta and chicken stock in the rice cooker and season with salt. Set it to cook for about 15 minutes; most of the liquid will evaporate.

2. Add the milk and cheese and give it a stir. Let it cook for another 20 minutes or so. You may have to stir it once or twice in this time period.

(Each rice cooker is different so keep an eye on it. After about 10 minutes mine switched to the warm setting and the bottom was already getting crusty while there was still quite a bit of liquid. After another 5 minutes the liquid was gone and it was quite creamy.)

3. Serve. You can add some more grated cheese on top.

This served me and my husband with no leftovers.


Update: I've made this recipe several times since with macaroni and it definitely turns out much better!  I've actually increased the grated cheese to 2 cups (and always use a mix of different cheeses) and also increased the milk to about 1-1/3.  It will take a little longer to cook, but it definitely comes out creamier and cheesier.

No comments:

Post a Comment