Friday, June 21, 2013

Banana Yogurt Loaf

Anna Olson is one of my all-time favourite bakers.  I recently got her newest cookbook, Back to Baking, and have tried a few recipes from there with a lot of success.  This Banana Bread recipe is an adaptation of her Morning Glory Yogurt Loaf.  It was my first time making this and trying my modification, but I think it turned out pretty good.  It was very moist.  What I did notice was that it took much longer to bake than her recipe states.  I think this might be because of all the bananas I put in it, but I'm not too sure.  Next time I will try using less bananas and see what happens.

Ingredients:
6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
pinch ground cinnamon
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup (approx.) white chocolate chips
1/2 cup (approx.) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9x5" loaf pan.

Cream the butter and sugar together.  Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, blending well after each addition.  Stir in the yogurt and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Stir this into the butter mixture.  Stir in the bananas, and then the chips.  Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 70 minutes (mine took closer to 90 minutes), until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.  Cool the loaf for 30 minutes, then tap it out of the pan to cool completely on a cooling rack.  The loaf will, keep, well wrapped and unrefrigerated, for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment