Sunday, February 23, 2014

Baked Tilapia & Baby Spinach Salad



Today was a quiet day at home. I had purchased some tilapia fillets at Costco and decided today would be a good day to make them.  The original recipe I wanted to try had to be tossed aside when I realized I used all our eggs for our Canada vs. Sweden Olympic Gold hockey game French Toast breakfast (which turned out so delicious by the way!).  I will save that recipe for another time as I have 3 more fillets sitting in the freezer, but this recipe was so good I will definitely be making it again.  The fish cook so quickly and this topping is the right mix of texture and tang and moistness!  The fish doesn't taste very fishy - which is a good thing because we aren't really a seafood household! My daughter who has tended to be a pickier eater when it comes to meats, ate up this fish so quickly.  My husband made some fries in the Acti-fry and I made a spinach salad to go alongside (recipe below). It was a very filling and satisfying lunch.  Next time I might make more of the topping as the fillets were quite large and weren't completely covered.

Baked Tilapia

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tbsp Greek yogurt
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 tbsp fresh lemon (or lime) juice
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 tilapia fillets


1. Preheat the broiler in your oven. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.

2. In a small bowl, mix together cheese, butter, yogurt and bread crumbs.  Add remaining ingredients (except the fillets) and mix well. Set aside.

3. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.  On the second top rack of your oven, broil the fillets for 4 minutes.  Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the cheese mixture.  Broil for another 3-4 minutes, or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork.  Do not overcook the fish.

Serves 4

Baby Spinach Salad

My friend made a version of this salad when we were over her house and my husband loved it.  You can really do any variations with it, but the dressing is what really makes it.  I have made this with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or any combo of those three.  I have also included walnuts or pecans (toasted or candied).  And you can throw in Feta cheese or not.  Today's recipe was not fortunate to have all the lovely toppings - simply strawberries and blackberries with the baby spinach.

I don't really use measurements for the ingredients, except for the dressing as the ratio is really important.

Dressing:
1 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
black pepper

Whisk ingredients together and dress your salad.



    The cheese-yogurt mixture before it goes on the fish.
    The baked fish.

    Baked tilapia on top of a warm quinoa "salad."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment