Saturday, August 29, 2015

Classic Belgian Waffles #2 - Gluten Free & Dairy Free

Waffles - one of my most favourite "breakfasts that doubles as dessert" of all time.  You can top them with nutella and bananas, nutella and strawberries, whipped cream, maple syrup, icing sugar; the list is really endless.

I have a recipe that I've used for years to make them from scratch and they turn out delicious!  My husband promised my little one that I would make them this morning for her, only for me to realize that we were completely out of flour and pancake mix.  I didn't know what I could do until I remembered I had some gluten free flour left from my gluten-free stint a few months back.  I have adapted my recipe to be dairy free, so why not substitute the flour and make gluten free ones as well.

The result was a much thicker and fluffier waffle.  As I was making it I wasn't sure if it would turn out because the batter was so thick, but they really turned out so good.

You can find my original recipe here or read it again below.  At the end of the post I have provided my gluten free and dairy free substitutions.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs, separated
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups milk

Directions:

1.  Preheat the waffle iron according to its instructions.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
3. In a second bowl use the wooden  to beat together the egg yolks and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and eggs have turned a pale yellow.  Add vanilla extract, melted butter and milk to the eggs and whisk to combine.
4. Combine liquid mixture with flour mixture and whisk just until blended; do not over mix.
5.  In a third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1-2 minutes.  Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter.  Do not overmix!
6.  Coat iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter in iron to just cover the waffle grid.  (I have a Cuisinart iron with 4 squares.  I always put about 1/3-1/2 cup into each square.  This normally prevents it from oozing out the sides.)  Close and cook per its instructions, about 2-3 minutes.
7.  Top with your favourite ingredients and serve immediately.

Makes about 8-10 waffles.

Gluten Free Option: I substituted the flour for a gluten-free all-purpose flour.  I really like the PC Brand.

Dairy Free Option: Substitute 1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil for the butter.  Substitute almond milk for the regular milk.  I love using the unsweetened vanilla almond milk.  When I'm short on almond milk, I often do 1 cup almond milk and 1 cup water - it still turns out delicious!


Gluten and Dairy Free Belgian Waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment