Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Chocolate chip Banana Bread

So tomorrow is the last day of the Mother Goose program I participate in with my little girl. This means it is a potluck as well. The easy answer would be to pick something up at the grocery store, but I remembered kinda late and didn't want to head out after she was sleeping. And tomorrow might be as hectic as today, so after my darling daughter was sound asleep, I decided to do some baking (even though all I wanted to do was crash on the couch!)

I always have some ripened bananas sitting in the freezer, so banana muffins or bread are always an easy go to. I always microwave the frozen bananas to thaw them quickly. And I found that they mash much easier and mix into the batter nicely.

Muffins take longer as you have to put them into the tins and most likely do a couple of rounds, so banana bread was the obvious choice - until I realized that the recipe I normally use has nuts in it and tomorrow's dish has to be nut-free.

So here is the alternative - a new recipe to try that I hope turns out. It's not always a good thing trying something new that you are bringing to a bunch of people you don't know very well. That's why my hubby and I will taste test this and hope I don't have to make a grocery run tomorrow!

INGREDIENTS

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
4 bananas, very ripe, mashed (thawed if you were using frozen!)
2 tablespoons ricotta mixed with 1 tablespoon each milk and lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (more/less to your taste)

DIRECTIONS

Set oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan; set aside.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside. Beat sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.




Drizzle in oil. Add mashed bananas, ricotta mixture, and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients and chips.



Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for about an 1 hour.



The final product. It took just over an hour to bake fully.





It turned out nice and moist and with good flavor. Let's hope the moms at Mother Goose like it as much as my husband and I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment