Sunday, March 23, 2014

Banana Blueberry Pancakes

I have to admit: I don't normally make pancakes from scratch.  My grandmother uses a mix where you still have to add eggs and milk; I don't even do that.  I normally buy a mix and just add water.  If I want to get fancy, I'll add chocolate chips or slices of strawberry or blueberries.  This morning when I asked my daughter if she wanted pancakes, I didn't even think to look if I had the mix in the cupboard.  Of course she said yes, and of course I didn't have any more mix.

So I went to my collection of cookbooks and pulled out this book called Breakfast Heaven.  I don't really remember when or where I got it, but I figured it would have some pretty good pancake recipes. This lead me to their blueberry and banana pancakes.  Looking at the clock and realizing I was pressed for time, I decided I might as well give it a go.

My daughter went into her high chair and helped me prepare them. They turned out great, very delicious.  It reminded me slightly of banana muffins.  It was fast to prepare and fast to cook (I used my Griddler so I could cook more at a time).  On top of that - they are dairy free!

Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
2 eggs, separated
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
pinch ground cinnamon
small pinch salt
1/2-1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)

Directions:

1. Mash the bananas with a fork in a large bowl.  Using the same fork, mix in sugar, lemon juice, and egg yolks.  Next mix in flour, baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and cinnamon.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites and pinch of salt until stiff. Fold into the banana mixture.

3. Heat about 1 tbsp oil in a large, heavy-based skillet over medium heat.  If you are using a griddle, heat it to 350-375F and lightly grease it or spray with non-stick spray.  (I found that I started at 375F, but lowered it to 350F as the pancakes were browning a little too quickly.)

4. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the skillet to make smaller pancakes or by 1/4 cup-fulls for larger ones. When they have been cooking for about a minute, sprinkle four or five blueberries onto each one, pushing them lightly into the batter. (If you are using frozen blueberries, you can place them in right away.)  Cook for about 2 minutes longer, until browned underneath and edges are cooked and it bubbles.  Flip them over and cook for an other minute or so, until they are lightly browned.

This made about 12-15 pancakes.  (I made some small ones for my daughter and small larger ones for me.)






No comments:

Post a Comment