Friday, December 25, 2015

Holiday Baking Part 1: Fudge Four Ways

I've spent the last two days getting my holiday baking together and I'm exhausted.
For this post I am going to share 4 different fudge recipes: two that I've used for years and two new ones I'm trying this year.

I love making fudge because it really comes together pretty easily.  You just have to allow yourself time for it to set in the fridge or freezer.

Super Chocolate Fudge

This one is probably my favourite.  It has such a rich chocolate taste - perfect for the chocolate lover in your life.  I have substituted about half of the semisweet chips for milk chocolate and it still turns out great! For the nuts I have used walnuts, almonds or a mix of both, but I'm sure any nut would be a great addition - try your favourite.

Ingredients:
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Directions:

1. Melt chocolate with milk, stirring occasionally.  (For a quicker approach you can microwave for about 3 minutes or until it is melted.  Stir about every 30 seconds.)

2. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and nuts.

3. Spread evenly in a parchment-paper lined 8" square pan.  Chill for 4 hours in the fridge or until firm.

4. Remove from pan and cut into small squares.

Makes about 64 1" squares.

Brown Sugar Fudge
The popular brown sugar fudge!

This is another great fudge, but a bit on the sweet side so cut them into small squares! This fudge turned out to be the most popular amongst my family.  It was gone so quickly!

Ingredients:
1 can condensed sweetened milk
2 cups well-packed brown sugar
1 cup (227 g) butter

Directions:

1. Place ingredients in a large microwave safe bowl and give it a quick stir.

2. Microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.  Let cool slightly.

3. Beat with electric mixer on low for 5 minutes.

4. Spread mixture into a parchment-paper lined 8" square pan.  Chill to set and cut into squares.

Makes about 64 1" squares.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

This is a new recipe I tried this year from the Bewitchin' Kitchen.  I really enjoyed this fudge.  The combo of peanut butter and chocolate is so yummy!

Ingredients:
2 cups peanut butter chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 can condensed sweetened milk
1/2 cup Skor Toffee Bits

Directions:

1. In a microwave-safe bowl combine the peanut butter chips, chocolate chips and condensed milk.  Give it a quick stir.

2. Microwave for about 3 minutes until the chocolate has melted.  Stir the mixture every 30 seconds.

3. Pour the fudge into a 8" square pan lined with parchment paper.

4. Top with Skor bits and gently press down.

5. Freeze for a few hours until it has hardened.

I've decided to only share these three recipes as the fourth fudge recipe didn't seem to turn out so well for me.  It was a white chocolate & toffee fudge that just didn't seem to set properly.  It is currently sitting in my freezer because if I take it out it will probably thaw into a goo.  Some family suggested using it in a cookie recipe, which I might try.  Until then, I will stick with these three fudge recipes as my go to's!
LEFT: Super Chocolate Fudge
RIGHT: Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

No comments:

Post a Comment